Can you canker sore on gums? Get insights on Causes and treatment symptoms, when contagious and how to treat.
What causes a Canker sore on your Gums?
Canker sores are small sallow ulcers that can appear on the tongue, gums, inside the lips and on cheeks. The sore usually have red borders with white or yellow centers. Canker sores can be very painful to extent that you cannot eat or talk comfortable. Unlike cold sores, canker sores are not contagious and they cannot spread to other people.
Anyone can develop a canker sore on gums but the infection is more common to women and young individual of age group 10 to 20 years. Most people have once experience the infection of canker sores in their lives.
The cause of canker sore on gums are unknown but there are so many believes and speculation about the cause of canker sores. You can easily get canker sores when you are exposed to risk factor that causes the widespread of infection.
The following can be the main cause of canker sore infection on your gums:
- Mouth injury
Having an injury on the mouth can be the cause of canker sore on the gum. Presence of mouth injuries can stimulates canker sores to appear on the gum. Cleaning your mouth using hard brushes can result to inflammation of the gum which can lead to cankers sores.
Some oral products that cause tissue damage can also cause canker sore on gums. Harsh mouthwash that encourages damage of the skin on the mouth should be avoided because they can trigger the development of canker sores on your mouth.
Eating hard and dried food like popcorns can damage the skin of the mouth which can develop in to painful sores. It is advisable to avoid dried snack that can cause canker sores on the mouth. Taking too hot food can also burn the skin of the mouth and cause canker sore on gums.
- Food allergies
The food that you take can be the cause of canker sores on your mouth. Some fruits and green vegetable can increase mouth ulcer that can develop into cancer sores. Some food contains acid that can burn the skin of the mouth. Lemon, oranges, pineapple, strawberries and tomatoes can encourage the development of canker sores.
Some people are very sensitive to spicy food and they can develop canker sore soon after eating the food. Taking food that is flavored by spices is delicious but the problem is, you can easily be allergic to spices and develop canker sore on the gums.
- Poor immune system
Like other infection, canker sores can attack you basing of the body defense mechanism. Having weakened immune system can be the cause of canker sores on the mouth. Young adults who have not yet developed fully the antibodies in their body system are more prone to this infection.
- Deficiency of vitamin and minerals salts.
Taking vitamin in your diet is very important and can help your body to escape many infections including canker sores. Having a deficiency of vitamin B-12 can cause the development of canker sore on your mouth. For young adult they can have a problem of canker sores because of the deficiency of vitamin B-12 in their body.
Mineral deficiency in the body can also lead to the development of canker sores on the mouth. Individual with the deficiency of zinc and iron in the body system can be the main cause of canker sores in the mouth. Lack of folic acid in the body system can also result to the development of sores on gums.
- Change of body hormones due to menstrual cycle
Fluctuation of body hormones due to menstruation cycle can cause canker sores to appear on the mouth. It is clear that women experience more cases of canker sores on the mouth than men. Hormone imbalance in the body can result to the development of canker sore on gums.
- Poor oral hygiene
You can easily get canker sores on the mouth when you do not practice good oral hygiene. Accumulation of bacteria in the mouth as a result of not cleaning your mouth can cause canker sores to appear on the gums.
Poor oral practices can lead to fungal growth in the mouth that can result to development of sores. Taking care of your mouth by cleaning can minimize the chances of canker sore infection.
How long do Canker Sore on Gums Last
Canker sore on your mouth can take a period of one to two weeks for the healing to take place. Sometimes the infection may take few days and disappear on your gun within 10 days. Major canker sore on gums may take longer duration before healing takes place.
The infection can take shorter time in your mouth when you take right treatment and canker sore medicines. You can get rid of the infection faster from your mouth if you employ a combination of home remedies to treat the canker sore on gums.
Canker sore on mouth can result to irritation and discomfort on gums that can last for few days before developing open ulcers on the mouth. After the pain has gone, healing takes place and the canker sore on gums can disappear without you noticing.
When canker sores on the mouth get infected by fungi or bacteria, the ulcers can take long time for healing to take place. It is advisable to talk to your medical doctor for assistance if canker sore have worsened and are becoming bothersome to you.
Canker sore are not permanent infection on your mouth, the sore will disappear slowly after a couple of weeks. You should not worry much about canker sore on gums because the infection will go away within a period of two weeks.
How to Treat Canker Sores on Gums – Home Remedies
Canker sore on gum can be treated using the following home remedies:
Raw honey is a wonderful treatment for canker sore on the mouth. Honey has a medicinal value that helps in treatment of canker sore on gum. It has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that fasten the healing of canker sores on your mouth.
How to use:
- Take warm water and swish in your mouth.
- Apply small amount of raw honey on the canker sores on gums.
- Reapply the honey three times daily.
Ensure you apply one of the treatments before night and this will do best since it will not be interfered by talking or eating. Manuka honey is the best because has not been processed and it retains the ability for healing.
- Salt water rinse
Use of salt water can be used for the treatment of canker sores on the mouth. Salt has be ability to draw water from cells around the canker sores by osmosis process that helps to dry up sores faster. Rinsing your mouth with salt water can greatly reduce the pain and irritation caused by the canker sores.
Salt water rinse also has general soothing effects that relieve the inflammation of the gums faster. Salt rinse also reduces bacteria in the mouth and keeps the affected area clean.
- Get ½ cup of warm water and mix with one teaspoon of salt.
- Swish the solution in your mouth three times per day until canker sore goes away.
- Application of Alum powder
Alum powder is obtained from potassium aluminum sulfate. The powder is used in process of preserving food. Alum powder has astringent ability that helps to draw tissue together and to dry canker sores on gums faster.
How to prepare:
- Prepare a paste by mixing the alum powder with a drop of water.
- Dab the paste onto affected area with canker sores.
- Leave the paste to sit on the sores for about one minute.
- Rinse your mouth with clean water.
- Repeat the same procedure until canker sore on gums disappears.
Eating yogurt daily can be the best treatment for canker sores on the mouth. Yogurt is made from fermentation of milk. It is the product of bacteria or yeast after the conversion of carbohydrates to organic acid.
Yogurt contains live cultures of bacterial that can be used to keep away other bacteria that causes canker sores on the mouth. Take one glass of yogurt daily when having cankers sores on gums.
- Use of baking soda
Baking soda can be used in treatment of canker sores. The reagent is used to restore pH of the mouth and reduce the inflammation caused by canker sores.
How to use:
- Mix one teaspoon of baking soda into ½ cup of water.
- Swirl the prepared solution in your mouth for 30 second then remove it from mouth
- Repeat the same after few hours as many times you can.
- Use of coconut oil.
Coconut oil has ant-inflammatory and antimicrobial ability that help in the treatment of canker sores. The oil provides faster soothing effect for painful sores on the mouth. The oil also has a credible taste and can be applied inside your mouth without having any side effect to you.
Use clean hands to apply the oil directly onto the affected area with canker sores. You can alternatively use cotton swab to apply the oil on the inflamed gums. Ensure you apply the coconut oil on the sores three times per day for faster healing to take place.
- Use of hydrogen peroxide solution
You can use hydrogen peroxide solution to promote the healing of the canker sores on the mouth. Use the solution to clean canker sores on gums. Hydrogen peroxide reduces the bacteria in the mouth to initiate the process of healing of canker sore on gums.
How to use:
- Get 3% of hydrogen peroxide solution and mix with equal amount of water.
- Use a cotton ball to apply the solution on your canker sores.
- Apply the solution on canker sores several times per day to initiate the healing process.
- Use of Aloe Vera rinse
The plant is known to have a medicinal value that can be used for the treatment of canker sores. Aloe Vera rinse has a soothing effect that reduces the pain and irritation cause by canker sores on the mouth. It also has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that provide faster relieve of canker sores on gum.
- Get one teaspoon of aloe Vera gel and mix with one teaspoon of water.
- Swish the gel gently over the canker sores three times a day.
- Repeat the same until canker sore goes away.
- Milk of magnesia
Milk of magnesia is made from magnesium hydroxide. The reagent is alkaline in nature and it is a laxative. You can use magnesium hydroxide to change the pH of the mouth in order to reduce canker sores to develop and also helps to coat the sores in the mouth to promote faster healing.
How to use:
- Apply small amount of milk of magnesia on the canker sores.
- Allow it to stay in your mouth for 30 seconds and rinse your mouth with clean water.
- Repeat the treatment three times per day to promote healing until the sores disappear.
Chamomile has the ability to heal wounds and ease irritations. German chamomile has anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties that help to treat your canker sores. Chamomile tea bag can be used to sooth canker sore and also to reduce pain on the gums.
Get a wet chamomile tea bad and put it over the affected area with canker sores for few minutes. You can rinse your mouth with brewed chamomile solution. Ensure you apply the treatment three times a day to fasten healing process.
For many years, sage tea has been used as the treatment for inflammations in the mouth. Sage mouthwash can also be used for the treatment of canker sores. Sage has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic ability that can relieve pain caused by canker sores on gum.
Sage mouthwashes are available to many pharmacies and you can get it to heal your canker sores. When sage mouthwashes are not available in the pharmacies, you can prepare your own sage at home and use it to rinse your mouth.
- Take one cup of water and boil it and add two tablespoon of fresh sage leaves.
- Boil it for five minutes.
- Sieve the mixture to obtain sage extract.
- Swish the extract in your mouth for 30 seconds.
- Spit out the rinse.
Echinacea liquid can be used for the treatment of canker sores on your mouth. Echinacea can heal sores faster and also prevent future development of canker sore on gums.
How to use:
- Mix one teaspoon of liquid Echinacea into equal amount of warm water.
- Swish the solution into your mouth for one minutes
- Get the solution out of the mouth by spiting it out.
- Repeat the same procedures four times a day until canker sores disappear.
- Apple Cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has antibacterial properties that can be used for treatment of canker sores. The acid in the apple cider vinegar can help to kill bacteria around the canker sores and reduce the irritation.
Apply the apple cider vinegar on the canker sores using a cotton swab. The application of the treatment can be very painful due to acidic nature of the vinegar. Be very careful when using apple cider vinegar to treat canker sores because it can cause more ulcers in your mouth. Ensure you use diluted solution to prevent the burning that may result from side effect of cider vinegar.
How to use:
- Take one cup of water and add one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar.
- Swish the solution around the mouth for one minute
- Spit out the mixture and rinse your mouth with warm water.
- Repeat the treatment several times a day until sore gets healed.
- Use of DGL mouthwash
DGL mouthwash can be used for the treatment of canker sore on gums. DGL is prepared from deglycyrrhizinated licorice which is a natural extract of the herb. You can use the mouthwash to treat canker sores on the mouth. Ask your doctor where to purchase the product.
- Add one capsule of DGL into one cup of warm water and stir.
- Swish the mixture in your mouth for two minutes.
- Spit out the solution.
- Vitamin B supplement
Taking vitamin B-12 complex supplement can help to get rid of canker sores on mouth. Eating a diet rich in vitamin B-12 can help you to escape canker sores attacks.
Topical medication and oral products
Topical products can be used for the treatment of canker sores. It is advisable to talk to your doctor to prescribe to you a mouth rinse that can help in the treatment of canker sores. Some mouth rinse containing steroid dexamethasone can be used to reduce pain and inflammation caused by canker sores.
Over-the-counter drugs that include pastes, creams, gels and liquids can be used to relieve pain and initiate the healing of canker sores. Oral medication can be prescribed by your doctor to you for the treatment of canker sores on gums.
Are Canker Sores on Gums Contagious
Canker sores on gums are not contagious. The infection cannot spread from one person to another. Canker sore on gums only appears after you are exposed to some of predisposing factors that cause canker sores.
Some people believe that canker sore can spread by sharing utensil but the fact is that canker sore is not contagious and it cannot spread from one person to another. You should not fear about spreading canker sore to your friends and relatives.
Canker Sore on Gums Symptoms
You can have canker sore if you have:
- Burning sensation on the gums.
- You feel painful sores on your gums, tongue and inside the cheeks.
- White or grey Sores on the mouth with red border.
- Swollen lymph nodes
You should consult your doctors if the symptoms of canker sore are worsening and the sores are spreading to dominate the whole mouth.
You May Also Like:
- White Bump on Gums, not Painful, above, below Tooth, Baby, Spots, Sore, Home Remedy, Get Rid, Pictures
- Swollen Gums around Tooth, Wisdom, Back of Mouth, Painful, Home Remedy, Over the Counter Medicine, How to Treat
- Black Spot on Gums, between Tooth, Painful, How to Get Rid, Causes, Dark Spots, Photos, near Wisdom Tooth, from Smoking, Bruise
- Bleeding Gums Causes, without or when Brushing, around Tooth, Symptoms, What to do, How to Stop
- Painful Gums, Causes, Home Remedy, Sore, in Back of Mouth, Jaw, between Teeth, around Tooth, Relief
- Purple Gums Causes, Smoking, Black People, Dark Red, Spots, How to Get Rid, Treat, Pink
- Lump on Gum, Hard, Painful, Bump, above Tooth, upper, Near, Cyst, Causes, Cyst, White
- Causes of canker sores on gums.https://www.oracoat.com/pages/mouth-sore-treatment#treatment
- How long do canker sore last on gums.http://www.treasuredsmilesdentistry.com/for-our-patients/common-problems
- How to treat canker sores on gums.http://www.healthline.com/health/dental-and-oral-health/how-to-get-rid-of-canker-sores#overview1
- Are canker sores contagious?http://kidshealth.org/en/teens/expert-canker-sores.html
- Canker sore on gums symptoms.http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/guide/canker-sores#1